Congratulations to all of you who got engaged over the holidays!
Despite what the title of this post says- wedding planning is a couple’s game!
Brides in most cases will drive the process, I’m betting there are more than a few of you out there who have already attended a bridal show or tried on a few wedding gowns.
While you’ll want your guy to participate- please know that he will need to pick his battles…get him involved in things he’s interested in: Picking the menu, specialty drinks, music and transportation will probably lead the list.
Here are some great tips to get the planning process started:
- Talk about it….there are a few things in life we don’t like to talk about, MONEY and RELIGION are two of them and in many cases they are the starting point of wedding planning.
You want to have an honest discussion about the wedding and what each of your vision for both the ceremony and reception might be…including rough estimated on a wedding budget.
This may also involve discussions with each of your parents about finances
2. Prioritize – make a list of the three areas of the wedding which are most important to each of you and plan to invest in those – without budgeting for these or knowing what the priorities are you’ll find yourself overspending on other things and falling short when it really counts.
3. BREATHE – there will be times during the planning you might feel overwhelmed, take a step back and BREATHE.
4. Look at investing in a Wedding Planner – How much is your free time worth? The average couple will spend nearly 350 hours planning on their own…how busy is your work schedule? Do you live out of town from here the wedding will be hosted?
Investing a few hours with an experienced planner may be just enough to get you started in the planning process…
You may be planning a bigger reception, travel for work or need assistance with some of the family dynamics…a planner to help you negotiate the entire process may be more of what you need…
Complimentary Consultations are a great way to see what your needs are and if the planner you are looking at is a good fit for you…
We are happy to talk to you about your wedding and offer you a Complimentary Consultation in our Old City Studio to see if one of our team might be a good fit. Feel free to call us at 267-251-7786 to talk abut your wedding!
5. Take time for you –whether you try to negotiate the process alone or work with an experienced planner – make sure you and your fiancé take time out each week to have some fun! Do things you enjoy, make a date night – don’t let the process consume your year.
Too many couples get caught up in the process of planning and all of the details and forget that it’s about two people who love each other coming together…
Have fun planning your wedding, we’d love to talk to you about how we can be of assistance – there are ways a planner can be of assistance to you on nearly any budget!